Brisbane Water LAC – NSW Police Force
APPEAL FOR INFORMATION FOLLOWING TEENAGE GIRL BEING ALLEGEDLY APPROACHED AT UMINA BEACH 11/5.
Details: About 11:30am on Saturday 11/5 a 15 old girl was walking along Nelson St Umina when she noticed a white van travelling slowly behind her. The victim went into a number of front yards to avoid the vehicle but the vehicle continued to follow her to Trafalgar Ave before she then ran losing the van.
Police attended, patrolled the area and conducted a canavas of the area but did not locate the man or van. We are currently investigating the circumstances surround this incident and would like to speak to the driver of the van who man be able to assist police inquiries.
POI described as: Male, Caucasian appearance, aged in his 40′s, unshaven with short white hair.
VOI described as: NSW Black & yellow rego plates with partial registration ‘B407′ or similar. Older model white van with blacked out windows.
Anyone with information is encouraged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333000 or the online reporting page: https://www1.police.nsw.gov.au/.
This is also a timely reminder to the community for parents to discuss the message ‘Safe People, Safe Places’ with their children. This includes:
* Make sure your parents or another adult you know knows where you are at all times.
* Always walk straight home or to the place you are walking to. Walk near busier roads and streets, or use paths where there are lots of other people.
* Know where safe places are – a shop, service station, police station, library or school. If you are ever frightened, you should go to one of these places and ask them to call the police.
* Learn about safe adults you can look for and talk to if you need help – police officers, teachers at school, adults you know and trust.
* Don’t talk to people you don’t know and never get into a car with someone you don’t know. If a car stops on the side of the road and you don’t know the person inside, do not stop.
* If you are scared and can use a phone, call 000 and tell them you are scared.
* If someone tries to grab you, yell out, ‘Go away, I don’t know you’. This lets other people know you have been approached by someone you don’t know.